[c-nsp] OAM/CFM question on IOS-XR

Vitkovský Adam adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Tue Mar 11 12:57:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

> Herro91
> Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 6:19 PM
> 1) I "think" I should be seeing MIPs in my traceroute when there is a P router
> in between the two PEs, correct?
It is a L2 form of traceroute so it will record only L2 hops configured as MIPs or MEPs.
So in a p2p PW there are going to be only PW endpoints as MEPs for a particular Level.

> 2) If the P router in between these PEs is just a transit node, what
> configuration is required to create the MIPs?
See CFM is meant for L2 OAM where there are no interface ip addresses you can ping to or capture in a traceroute.
So in case of an e.g. me3400 connected to your XR box than p2p PW to another XR box than another me3400 as CPE.
These four boxes form the L2 domain over which you can utilize CFM to pin-point the failure.
You could have the me3400 as MEPs and XR boxes as MIPs for the particular level.
This gets handy as the L2 (aggregation) domain at each end of the MPLS cloud gets bigger and it's more difficult to see which L2 box dropped the ball.
Regarding the MPLS core in between, well you already have tools to identify the failed P/core box.

adam