Hackers hijack 300, 000-plus wireless routers, make malicious changes | Ars Technica

Warren Bailey wbailey at satelliteintelligencegroup.com
Tue Mar 4 19:59:57 UTC 2014

I don¹t know that they have a lot of motivation to support ³legacy² access
points. The home brew guys tend to magically ³find² ways to install
software on these POS CPE AP/Router combos, which I don¹t think is a
coincidence. The linksys types of the world want to sell more routers, not
make routers that suddenly have an amazing 8 year shelf life. Most people
get tired of that POS box that gives them internet not working, and buy a
new LESS POS with whatever 802.xxx of the week/month/year/shopping season.
The margins probably really suck if you support a piece of plastic longer
than __ months, so I doubt you¹ll see anyone supporting their cheap box
any time soon. I bet if you offered them a way to do it for free, they¹d
look at it ;)