ISP inbound failover without BGP

Vlade Ristevski vristevs at ramapo.edu
Tue Mar 4 14:27:58 UTC 2014

I've been doing the suggestion below for many years using the IP
addresses that Cogent gives us. All I needed to do is get  LOA from them
and submit it to my backup ISP. I've never had an issue with my Cogent
IP's *not* being advertised by my other ISP and I really don't think
there is very much management overhead for the customer once this is
setup. I have an SNMP based alerting system (Cacti) set up so I can be
alerted if too much traffic ever "shifts" to the backup link.

The client getting their own ASN is the better way to go but you should
be able to do the above until that comes through.

--
Vlad