Filter on IXP

Vitkovský Adam adam.vitkovsky at swan.sk
Mon Mar 3 09:25:18 UTC 2014

> - the IXP participants keep their IRRDB information fully up-to-date
Geez anything else but the fully up-to-date IRRDB please. That just won't fly.
That's why I said that an up to date IRRDB would have been a nice side effect of IXP filtering.

> - the IXP operators put in mechanisms to stop both route-leakages
> and incorrect IRRDB as-set additions from causing things to explode.
Yes this is a valid point

I think the technicalities of how to implement this kind of filtering at the IXP equipment is out of scope for this discussion.

Anyways I believe IXPs should not be responsible for this mess and that BCP38 should be implemented by the participants of an IXP.
As Saku Ytti mentioned several times Tier2 ISPs are in the best position for a successful BCP38 filtering at their network boundaries.

adam