Managing IOS Configuration Snippets

Dale W. Carder dwcarder at wisc.edu
Sat Mar 1 02:35:21 UTC 2014

Thus spake Keegan Holley (no.spam at comcast.net) on Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:49:19AM -0500:
> I wasn’t saying just fix it.  I was saying that router configs don’t lend well to versioning.

Um, what?

$> rlog r-cssc-b280c-1-core.conf | grep 'total revision'
total revisions: 2009;	selected revisions: 2009

> When it’s a router config chances are someone fat-fingered something.  Most of the time the best thing to do is to fix or at least alert on the error, not to record it as a valid config version.

We have our operators manually check in revisions (think in rcs terms:
co -l router, go do work, verify it, ci -u router) rather than
unsolicited / cron-triggered checkins.  Then the check-in message
contains the operator's description text of the change and often a
ticket number.  So there slightly fewer fat-finger configs checked in.

Dale