Cheap LSN/CGN/NAT444 Solution

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Mon Jun 30 21:28:19 UTC 2014

I run ASR1k6's ESP40/RP2 with 10-15k BNG clients on each running full CGNAT.
Translations peak at about 250k per 10K users. The ESP40 can handle 2M
translations, so there is plenty of room to run them up to 32k users without
having to be concerned (64k in an emergency). I have been running this
configuration for 2+ years in production and never had any issue with
getting anywhere near close to having a performance issue. Now incoming DDOS
attacks are another matter, they are a lot more common and damaging with the
CGNAT as you need to remove the destination IP from your nat pool for the
duration.

If you were doing your CGNAT on an older 72xx or similar CPU based box, well
then all bets are off, I would expect available NAT table resource to be
very easy to exhaust.