Comcast Business Internet Options

Phil Gardner phil.gardnerjr at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 13:45:13 UTC 2014

Hi all -

Probably like a lot of people on the list, I depend on my home internet
connection for many things including my primary job, and the numerous
side projects I work on.

I'd really a appreciate a connection that would have a shorter response
time if something were to go wrong. Unfortunately, I just moved and now
I'm out of the service area of my previous provider, who was actually
able to compete with Comcast (FTTH). Now I'm stuck with one option.

I really don't plan on spending more than a year where I currently am,
so I don't want be locked into a contract for more than a year,
especially with Comcast's crap termination fee (75% of the remainder on
the contract).

I called and talked to a sales rep, who was just a kid, and an arrogant
one at that. He knew of the monopoly for a decent internet connection in
my area, so I had little bargaining power.

The offer he gave me was: minimum 2 year contract, with a $99
installation fee, and his "supervisor" "approved" a $300 Visa giftcard
if I agreed to this. The other option is a 1 year contract, with a $199
installation fee, with no giftcard. This is for the 50Mbit option, and
he didn't seem to care about my counter offer to bump it up to 75Mbit if
he waived the install fee.

Come on...$199 to plug in a modem. The address already had Comcast
before I got there...

Is there anyone out there that has ideas about how to waive or lower
that installation fee while only having a 1 year contract?