Cheap LSN/CGN/NAT444 Solution

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Jun 30 13:40:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 15:59:47 +1000, Skeeve Stevens said:

> I am after a LSN/CGN/NAT444 solution to put about 1000 Residential profile
> NBN speeds (fastest 100/40) services behind.

> This solution is for v4 only, and needs to consider the profile of the
> typical residential users.  Any pitfalls would be helpful to know - as in
> what will and and more importantly wont work - or any work-arounds which
> may work.

Pitfall 1:  Make sure you have enough support desk to handle calls from
everybody who's doing something that doesn't play nice with CGN/NAT444.
And remember that unless "screw you, find another provider" is an acceptable
response to a customer, those calls are going to be major resource sinks to
resolve to the customer's satisfaction...

Pitfall 2: These sort of short-term solutions often end up still in
use well after their sell-by date.  If you're planning to deploy a
new solution in 6 months, maybe throwing resources at a short-term fix
is counterproductive and the resources should go towards making the current
solution hold together and deploying the long-term solution...