Team Cymru / Spamhaus

SysIT IT at SysAccess.net
Fri Jun 27 19:55:37 UTC 2014

Appreciate the Clarification Darden, I wasn't aware Spamhaus had this other division / service, time for some reading.

-----Original Message-----
From: Darden, Patrick [mailto:Patrick.Darden at p66.com]
Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 11:50 AM
To: SysIT; Adam Greene; 'NANOG list'
Subject: RE: Team Cymru / Spamhaus

I feel like you are conflating DOS and DDOS.  DOS attacks can be bandwidth related, but they can also be malformed packets, injections, etc. ad nauseum.  DDOS are almost always, as you say, bandwidth wars.

The Spamhaus BGPF project has nothing to do with Spam--it is an attempt to provide filters for botnets and other malware hosts/nets, including DDOS and some DOS attacks.  However, it will only work if you use it--with the chance for false positives implicitly there.

The CYMRU FULLBOGON list won't help with DOS or DDOS--it is simply a list of martians, netbloks, and allocated but unassigned IP space.  Well worth using, and a fabulous resource.

--patrick darden