MACsec SFP

Eric Flanery (eric) eric at flanery.us
Wed Jun 25 12:09:49 UTC 2014

Those 'proposals' are really just things that would have been useful in
module form at one point or another, not necessarily anything that I've
given any serious thought to what sort of market they would have. Some are
probably impractical, some would probably be far too expensive to actually
be useful, and some would probably only have very narrow appeal.

That said, I do think the separately tunable tunable transmitters and
receivers could be huge, especially if they came at only a reasonably small
premium over fixed wavelengths. Just for CWDM as we are implementing it, we
need to deal with 16 different wavelengths, and three different transmit
powers, giving us 48 different modules to deal with (DWDM would/will only
make that worse). If we could cut that to one, or even three, it would make
things much simpler, from planning to stocking and sparing.

--Eric