MACsec SFP

Pieter Hulshoff phulshof at aimvalley.nl
Tue Jun 24 13:59:31 UTC 2014

On 24-6-2014 15:50, Christopher Morrow wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 3:59 AM, Pieter Hulshoff <phulshof at aimvalley.nl> wrote:
>
>> features they should have. I'll then try to build a business case to get the
>> product developed. MACsec is currently on the top of my own list, but I'll
>> gladly pass other ideas to my colleagues.
> what would be your key management strategy for the macsec version?
> given press / etc over the last 18 or so months it seems like folk
> with long-haul ether framing might be very interested in macsec for
> those links and NOT doing it by sticking some switch platform between
> the 2 routed endpoints.
>
> management of key material (and rolling and...) is probably
> interesting for them as well.

Actually, that's part of the feature list I'm trying to put together.
Not everyone is willing to put a complete key infrastructure together,
and some even expressed interest in a simple unmanaged point-to-point
solution. Let me share my current view (subject to change):

The first release will support 802.1X MKA using a pre-shared key. I'm
still trying to decide if this key should be programmable, e.g. via I2C,
or if we will simply sell paired devices with a unique pair-wise key
programmed in the factory. MKA will automatically take care of the
distribution of new MACsec keys.

Later releases may support 802.1X EAPOL device authentication, though
exactly which EAP sub-protocols we will support is yet to be determined.
As said: a lot depends on the answers I will get from potential
customers, including people on this list.

Kind regards,

Pieter Hulshoff