MACsec SFP

Pieter Hulshoff phulshof at aimvalley.nl
Tue Jun 24 07:59:40 UTC 2014

On 24-6-2014 8:37, Saku Ytti wrote:
> On (2014-06-23 11:13 +0200), Pieter Hulshoff wrote:
>
>> feature and market information for such a device, and I would welcome some
>> feedback from interested people. Discussion about other types of smart SFPs
>> would also be welcome. Feel free to contact me directly using the contact
>> information below.
> I'd do questionable things for subrate SFP, SFP which I can put to 1GE port
> and have 10M and 100M rates available. Or to 10GE port and get 1GE, 100M and
> 10M
>
> Use case is network generation upgrade where you still have one or two 100M
> ports for MGMT ports etc.

I've seen this request from others as well. Do you have any
proposal/preference to limit the data rate from the switch?

> There are quite few service SFP already available, RAD does E1 over IP/ETH
> tunnels in SFP, Huawei has router-in-SFP, JDSU has ethernet probe in SFP,
> probably quite few others.

I'm aware of these products; we (AimValley) build and sell several
similar products as well. Since I'm a systems architect, and not a sales
person, my email was mostly meant to get an idea of what type of smart
SFP products people in the field would like to see come to light, and
what type of features they should have. I'll then try to build a
business case to get the product developed. MACsec is currently on the
top of my own list, but I'll gladly pass other ideas to my colleagues.

Kind regards,

Pieter Hulshoff