short, two part question ICANN Vs. The World

stovetop 202 stovetop_202 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 22 23:45:28 UTC 2014

Topic: ICANN Vs. The World.

The question at hand is.. Do countries/businesses have to affiliate or utilize any of those services provided by ICANN other than the assignment of an IP address?  And can you get away with LAN/CAN/MAN stand-alone systems [instead of utilizing DNS-via-ICANN]??
Example:
Is it legal to cut off those DNS systems and loop in backwards?  (instead of bidirectional).  **  I don't want my city/schools/other systems hooked into the World Wide Web. // someone let me know when you get a chance.