Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 07:24:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 10:41 PM, Laszlo Hanyecz <laszlo at heliacal.net>
wrote:  > The Comcast business SMC gateway speaks RIP to make the
>routed /29 work.. in theory it could be put into bridge mode and you can do >the RIP yourself but they don't support that configuration (you'd need the >key to configure it successfully and they didn't want to do when I asked).  If

It begins to sound like a job for a packet capture tool to grab a copy
of a SMC's outgoing broadcast,  and then an Ad Infinitium replay of
the last   30 second  broadcast.      Even with md5 auth;  RIPv2
protocol basically has nothing preventing message replay, so, as long
as your original router is offline such that the  sequence number does
not increase,
and  if  you can continuously replay your router's last RIP broadcast,
 you may  not even need to know any keys......

--
-JH