Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Mon Jun 23 02:16:10 UTC 2014

On Jun 22, 2014, at 7:07 PM, Darren Pilgrim <nanog at bitfreak.org> wrote:

> On 6/22/2014 6:56 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> On Jun 22, 2014, at 6:41 PM, Darren Pilgrim <nanog at bitfreak.org>
>> wrote:
>>> For Comcast business services, the SMC box on my demarc panel isn't
>>> IPv6 capable and neither are any of Comcast's other business CPE.
>>
>> Not true. The Netgear CCB tried to install here just a couple of days
>> ago is IPv6 capable. Unfortunately, it breaks IPv4 by not being
>> capable of bridge mode and insisting on NATing everything inside
>> unless you subscribe to static IPv4 addresses from Comcast.
>
> What's the model number?  The Comcast techs here are quite insistent that none of the CPE capable of routed subnets are able to do IPv6.
>
>> OTOH, you can supply your own Motorola Surfboard DOCSIS 3 modem and
>> it works just fine with Comcast Business.
>
> Have you tried using that with a routed subnet?

Not sure what you mean by “routed subnet”.

I’ve got a router hooked up to it and everything on my internal network(s) is behind that router, so I’m using it with routed subnets by my definition of that term. If you have some specific way of setting up your services that’s different from that, you’d need to be specific before I could usefully comment.

Owen