Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Vlade Ristevski vristevs at ramapo.edu
Fri Jun 20 17:45:00 UTC 2014

I think it depends on the environment. Many small to midsized colleges
use some type of NAC for their dorms. Some of the most popular ones
don't have support for IPv6. I know there are more, but here are a few:

NetReg (and it's commercial variants such as Infoblox Authenticated DHCP)
ImpulsePoint Safeconnect
Nomadix Gateway (used in many hotel guest networks)
Cisco Clean Access when Inline mode  (product is EOL but could explain
why many schools couldn't do IPv6 in the dorms over the years)

In my specific case, we couldn't use 802.1x for wired ports until
recently so we've always had to depend an IP based solution for NAC. In
a dorm setting, where a lot of the wired hosts don't support
802.1x(Roku,printers,Bluray players) , options are limited . With newer
switches supporting mac-address based authentication (MAB in Cisco
world, Mac-Radius in Juniper), we can start planning for IPv6 in our
dorms in at least a limited deployment.