Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 03:13:10 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM, Lee Howard <Lee at asgard.org> wrote:

> On 6/19/14 4:30 PM, "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Lee Howard <Lee at asgard.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> How does IPv6 to end users make IPv4 unnecessary for growth, if
>>> enterprises and content providers haven't deployed IPv6?
>>
>>content folk are mostly getting v6 done already, right? (minus AWS/etc
>>which are on-plan to deploy as near as I can tell)
>>I don't think enterprise folk matter here, they'll get to v6 when they
>>have enough problems related to v4 content reachability... and when
>>they try the ISP network ought to be prepared to deal with them.
>

> 7.94% Google hits in the U.S. come from IPv6 addresses.
>         http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-ad
> option
> 7.29% of web sites have a working AAAA.
>         http://www.employees.org/~dwing/aaaa-stats/
>

>>which content providers (large-ish ones) are lagging still?
>
> https://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/detailed.php?country=us
>
> Microsoft: live.com, Bing, MSN, microsoft.com

that's a bummer I had thought they were doing v6 :(
(same for twitter actually)
<longer list elided>

So, I was focusing on the end-user (Consumer) set because given enough
migration there that should push more application folk in the right
direction.

I think ipv6 still suffers from the chicken/egg problem:
  1) users aren't asking so isps aren't selling/doing
  1b) ISPs still ahve v4 or a solution (they think) to no-more-v4 and
can keep rolling new customers out
  2) content places have no one they can't reach today because there's
v4 to everyone that they care about
  3) both sides still playing chicken.

oh well, see you on this same conversation in another 18 months time?