Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 19 23:04:30 UTC 2014

It depends on how you define Nexus.

Currently the way number resource policy works is that global policy requires an identical policy
be put through the  policy development process in each of the 5 regional internet registries and
adopted by all 5. It is then sent to the ASO AC (an elected body representing the 5 RIRs and their
communities to ICANN) who validates that the 5 RIR policy processes were, in fact, followed and
that identical (or nearly identical) policy was passed by each. If any differences need to be resolved,
the ASO AC works with the RIRs in question to get those resolved through the policy processes.
Once all 5 RIR communities have agreed on a common policy, the ASO AC ratifies it and sends it
to the ICANN board for a final ratification. Once the ICANN board ratifies it, it is global policy.

Generally, these policies are limited to the ones which govern how the RIRs interact with IANA to
receive and/or return number resources that are managed by the RIRs.

This particular mechanism has worked quite well for many years. It would be a shame to see ICANN
take a more active (destructive) role in the process.

Owen