Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Thu Jun 19 23:09:09 UTC 2014

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, Owen DeLong wrote:

> If you read the rest of my post, you would realize that I wasn't arguing
> to give out addresses to every person and their dog, but instead arguing
> that trying to shift bits to the right would be costly and pointless
> because there are more than enough bits on the left site already.

Perhaps we should discuss this in a different way...

Ricky, if you were to design a new protocol today such that you can give
out addresses, at will without having to be conservative with the goal of
minimizing human factor costs, and _guarantee_ that you will not run out
of addresses in the useful life of the protocol, how big would that
address space need to be?

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442