Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jun 19 22:55:17 UTC 2014

On Jun 19, 2014, at 10:53 , Edward Arthurs <earthurs at legacyinmate.com> wrote:

> Thank You for responding.
> If mid to small companies have equipment made in the last 7 years, they will not need to replace equipment.
> Most net admins at the mid to small companies have no idea about IPV6.
> Cost is a major consideration at the mid to small size companies, if they need to upgrade equipment.
> The difference between IPV4 and IPV6 for someone not familiar is huge,
> 1. There is a totally new format dotted decimal to colon.
> 2. The 32 bit to 128 bit is/or can be quite challenging for some net admins.

I can get most network admins over both of those hurdles (and the other more meaningful ones) in a 45 minute training session.

Yes, I've done so many times, so I know it works.

For those with more complex needs, a two-day training course can take someone from marginally proficient in IPv4 to reasonably proficient in IPv6 for both Network and Systems administration.

With a small amount of conceptual knowledge, the differences between IPv4 and IPv6 become very very small.

Owen