Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Thu Jun 19 21:24:02 UTC 2014

On 6/19/14 4:30 PM, "Christopher Morrow" <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 4:27 PM, Lee Howard <Lee at asgard.org> wrote:
>>
>> How does IPv6 to end users make IPv4 unnecessary for growth, if
>> enterprises and content providers haven't deployed IPv6?
>
>content folk are mostly getting v6 done already, right? (minus AWS/etc
>which are on-plan to deploy as near as I can tell)
>I don't think enterprise folk matter here, they'll get to v6 when they
>have enough problems related to v4 content reachability... and when
>they try the ISP network ought to be prepared to deal with them.

7.94% Google hits in the U.S. come from IPv6 addresses.
	http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/statistics.html#tab=per-country-ipv6-ad
option
7.29% of web sites have a working AAAA.
	http://www.employees.org/~dwing/aaaa-stats/

>which content providers (large-ish ones) are lagging still?

https://www.vyncke.org/ipv6status/detailed.php?country=us

Microsoft: live.com, Bing, MSN, microsoft.com
Twitter
Amazon
LinkedIn
WordPress
eBay, PayPal
Pinterest
Instagram
Ask.com
Tumblr
IMDB
Craigs List
Imgur
Reddit
CNN
Disney, Go, ESPN
GoDaddy
HuffPo
WordPress
Adobe
Vimeo
Flickr
Dropbox
CNet
BuzzFeed
NYTimes
Most porn sites (one has a dead AAAA).
The web site of any TV channel, or any bank.
Not to mention the million web pages at hosting providers.

Lee