Credit to Digital Ocean for ipv6 offering

Daniel Ankers md1clv at md1clv.com
Thu Jun 19 18:02:45 UTC 2014

On 19 June 2014 13:18, STARNES, CURTIS <Curtis.Starnes at granburyisd.org>
wrote:

> I have to agree with Dan on this one,
> Look at the numbers (especially for small to mid-sized business and
> residential):
>
> /56 = 256 /64's subnets
> /60 = 16 /64's subnets
>
> http://www.sixscape.com/joomla/sixscape/index.php/ipv6-training-certification/ipv6-forum-official-certification/ipv6-forum-network-engineer-silver/network-engineer-silver-ipv6-subnetting/ipv6-subnetting-general-subnetting
>
> At 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 per /64, that is a lot of address.
> Right now I cannot get IPv6 at home so I will take getting "screwed" with
> a /56 or /60 and be estatic about it.
>
> Curtis

One of the key things with IPv6 (IMHO) is to stop thinking about addresses,
and instead just think about networks.  Judging by Owen's earlier mail I
may not have that quite right and the key might even be to think about
hierarchies - in either case counting the number of individual addresses is
something we just don't need to do any more.

Dan