Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jun 19 17:13:41 UTC 2014

>Short of consumer education, how do you expect to resolve the issue where $CONSUMER walks into $BIG_BOX_CE_STORE
>and says "I need a router, what's the cheapest one you have?"

By making the answer "the cheapest is this FooTronics, but you're
better off with this MegaBar.  The FooTronics doesn't do IPv6 so it
can't do X."

Until there is an X that consumers care about, don't hold your breath.

I can tell you from experience that the only practical effect of IPv6
on my home cable service is to make things periodically slow and flaky
when T-W's internal routing flakes.  Wahoo.  I only leave it turned on
because I know people at T-W who are using the problem reports to
debug it.

R's,
John