Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

George, Wes wesley.george at twcable.com
Wed Jun 18 23:02:15 UTC 2014

On 6/18/14, 4:09 PM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>>Now, consider DVRs, BluRay players, Receiver/Amplifiers, Televisions,
>>etc. where there are, currently, no IPv6 capable choices available to
>>the best of my knowledge.

I think this thread exemplifies a problem among the IPv6 early adopters
who like to whine about the rate of adoption: the best of (y)our knowledge
is likely stale, because things are changing constantly. People are fond
of trotting out the same arguments they’ve been making for years about who
is at fault for IPv6’s weak adoption without actually verifying that the
issue still exists or is as bad as last time they looked i.e. ISP
deployment levels, level of support in equipment, etc. Not saying that all
the problems are solved, or that they didn’t contribute to the issue in
the past, but the “guy walks into a big box store” tale of woe might be a
bit exaggerated now.
The problem now is that because IPv6 isn’t a feature most customers ask
for, a product’s support for it (or lack thereof) is not consistently
published in the vendor specs.

For example: in ~September 2013 I was pleasantly surprised to find (via
some colleagues observing it in the UI) that a number of current Sony TVs
and BluRay players do in fact support IPv6, but at the time, it wasn’t
listed as a feature on their model info on the site. Haven’t checked to
see if it’s there now.
@sonysupportusa on twitter has been helpful when asked questions about
specific models’ IPv6 support, but as I told them, there’s really no
substitute for having the info on the site. It’s not complete *cough* PS4
*cough* but they’re getting there.
Similarly, Belkin’s home routers appear to support IPv6, but that doesn’t
appear in the specs or features list on their site when I just checked it.

I support a recommendation to consumer retailers to start requiring IPv6
support in the stuff that they sell, but unfortunately I don’t have very
good data on how large of a request that actually is.

Wes George

Anything below this line has been added by my company’s mail server, I
have no control over it.