Help with Confederation-RR-MPBGP

Michael Hallgren m.hallgren at free.fr
Wed Jun 18 20:25:46 UTC 2014

Le 18/06/2014 18:31, Philip Lavine a écrit :
> I guess my question is (sorry MPLS speak ahead)
No harm, me I've always rather consifered MPLS as a service provider
(like VPN, etc).

>  with 4 PE's on the edge running MP-BGP and ISIS & 4 P's in the
> core running ISIS, is it best practice to confederate or use a route
> reflector and make the PE's clients.

MP-BGP for VPN, I guess? Or am I missing something in your case? If so,
you use MPLS for services, right? Where
do you hook up to 'the Internet'?

This aside, I'd go the confederation way (only?) in case I see a
potential future need to do amounts of by destination
routing also within my network. I'd find it nicer than rushing down the
RSVP lane (pending SR :-)) Makes some sense
to you?

> Basically I want to know what an ISP would do, not a test in a LAB.

Me, rarely had a lab for these kind of things, but quite often networks :-)

Cheers,

mh