Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Wed Jun 18 19:57:49 UTC 2014

On 6/18/14 3:38 PM, "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com> wrote:

>> 2. Older gateways, especially consumer-owned retail devices, don't
>>support
>> IPv6.  Churn would help, if new retail gateways supported IPv6.
>
>Several do now. What are $CABLECO, $CE_STORES, etc. doing to make sure
>consumers choose these or at least realize the consequences of failing to
>choose them?

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/internet/
buy-your-modem.html
http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/
http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20140107006526/en/CEA-Selects-Safe-Dr
iving-IPv6-Implementation-Standards#.U6HuqS_9q_s

However, I also don't think consumer education is the answer:
http://www.wleecoyote.com/blog/consumeraction.htm
they need to do about it, consumer education will only cause fear and
frustration, which will not be helpful. This is a technology problem, not
a feature problem, and consumers shouldn't have to select which Internet
to be on.

Lee