Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 18 18:17:29 UTC 2014

A thought exercise for folks that think we need more network bits or fewer host bits or whatever...

If you went from 64/64 to 96/32, what would you do with all those additional network numbers?

Would you still assign /48s to end-sites or would you move that down to /80?

If you'd move that to /80, then do you really expect a need for more than 281,474,976,710,656 end sites?

Consider this... The world population is 7.1 billion, and expected 10.1 billion by 2100 (UN estimates).

Let's figure each person needs an end site for their place of business, their two cars, their home, their vacation home, and just for good measure, let's double that to be ultra-conservative. That's 10 end-sites per person or 101 billion end sites.

281,474 billion - 101 billion = 281,373 billion remaining /48s.

Of course, since we're giving ISPs /32s, let's assume that each ISP serves only 256 customers and that we therefore have a 256x inefficiency.

That means we would burn up 25,856 /48 equivalents, leaving only 255,618 extra /48s lying around.

Owen