Credit to Digital Ocean for ipv6 offering

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 18 18:05:32 UTC 2014

On Jun 18, 2014, at 09:07 , John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:

>>> My cable company assigns my home network a /50.  I can figure out what
>>> to do with two of the /64s (wired and wireless networks), but I'm
>>> currently stumped on the other 16,382 of them. ...
>
>> I figure that with the larger allocations to homes or offices the question
>> isn't "how do I allocate all of these" but "how do I delegate chunks of
>> this in a hierarchical manner."
>
> Or even, how do I allocate them at all.  My D-Link wifi router can
> pick up a /64 and route it to its own LAN (wired and wifi bridged) and
> that's about it for IPv6 other than port filters to enable some
> inbound connections.
>
> It runs Linux so I suppose I could put dd-wrt onto it, but that's more
> fun than I have time for this week.

Yes, but let's please not make network design decisions based on the limitations built into one of the cheapest routers on the market intended for the lowest of the lowest common denominators.

There are many other examples of CPE that can make use of properly sized prefixes (/48 per end site) and there is no reason not to deploy these.

I find the /50 particularly odd as it's not a nibble boundary and very close to /48. It's almost certain this is an operator who fails to grasp that they could have easily gotten a larger allocation from their RIR if they just asked for it and provided the appropriate justification in terms of giving /48s to their customers. OTOH, it's far better than those ridiculous providers that are screwing over their customers with /56s or even worse, /60s.

Sad, really.

Owen