Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jun 18 01:00:47 UTC 2014

On Jun 17, 2014, at 8:46 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> One could make a valid argument that this is no worse than systems with misconfigured IPv4 who cannot reach Google at all even if they don't publish AAAA records because their IPv4 is so badly misconfigured that it doesn't work either. I suspect it may well be approximately the same fraction of systems, though it may take longer to notice/resolve the IPv6 issues than the IPv4 ones.

At the last RIPE i had some troubles with my IPv4 while my IPv6 worked fine.  Folks internally grumbled about fixing IPv6 hosts because those with IPv6 are in the minority, but that is a diminishing view and honestly people who keep repeating that will slowly undercut themselves out of relevance.

- jared