Time Warner IPv6 Reverse DNS?

James R Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Fri Jun 13 15:26:22 UTC 2014

On Jun 13, 2014, at 10:39 AM, Lee Howard <Lee at asgard.org> wrote:

> We've corresponded offline.
>
> I documented the difficulties in providing reverse DNS for IPv6
> residential users in http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-howard-isp-ip6rdns-06
> It's a long-expired draft, which never found sufficient support from a WG
> or AD.  I've been meaning to rewrap it as a BCOP, but lack cycles.
>
> Lee
>
> On 6/12/14 11:58 AM, "hasser css" <hasservalve at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Some IPv6 email is not working well for me on my TWC Internet connection
>> due to their IPv6 block not having PTR records.
>>
>> Is it possible for me to delegate my IPv6 range to my own DNS server, or
>> something similar? I have talked to level 3 support and they were pretty
>> much clueless, so I decide to ask here if anyone has insight or similar
>> issues in the past.
>>
>> Thanks!

This exchange brings to mind several questions (and comments):

1. Should not RFC 1033 be considered “Historic”?
	I note that iPv6 was only a faint longing and otherwise undefined at that time.

2.  What is the real rdns business requirement for residential customers?
	I have difficulty finding anything but SMTP servers needing rdns entries.
	Practical end-to-end security should be independent of media and addressing.