Getting pretty close to default IPv4 route maximum for 6500/7600 routers.

Blake Hudson blake at ispn.net
Tue Jun 10 17:04:14 UTC 2014

I haven't seen anyone bring up this point yet, but I feel like I'm
missing something...

I receive a full BGP table from several providers. They send me ~490k
*prefixes* each. However, my router shows ~332k *subnets* in the routing
table. As I understand it, the BGP table contains duplicate information
(for example a supernet is announced as well as all subnets within that
supernet) or excess information (prefix is announced as two /17's
instead of a single /16) and can otherwise be summarized to save space
in the RIB.

It appears to me that the weekly CIDR report shows similar numbers:

Recent Table History
         Date      Prefixes    CIDR Agg
         30-05-14    502889      283047
         31-05-14    502961      283069
         01-06-14    502836      283134
         02-06-14    502943      283080
         03-06-14    502793      283382
         04-06-14    503177      282897
         05-06-14    503436      283062
         06-06-14    503988      282999

In this case, does the 512k limit of the 6500/7600 refer to the RIB or
the FIB? And does it even matter since the BGP prefix table can
automatically be reduced to ~300k routes?

Thanks,
--Blake