ipmi access

Brian Rak brak at gameservers.com
Mon Jun 2 19:54:36 UTC 2014

On 6/2/2014 3:47 PM, shawn wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 3:19 PM, Nikolay Shopik <shopik at inblock.ru> wrote:
>
>> Java only used for mouting images. KVM is transfered via VNC protocol iirc.
> They're not re-inventing the wheel, but I think KVM is generally some
> VNC stream embedded in http(s) which VNC clients can't seem to
> understand (at least, at a glance, I haven't been able to connect to
> iLo, DRAC, Spider, or Tyan IPMI from outside the Java app).
No, at least on SuperMicro it's a hacked up VNC protocol.  It's not
embedded in HTTP/HTTPS, it just uses HTTP/HTTPS to fetch the Java app.

I say hacked up because it's got a custom auth method, and a whole bunch
of undocumented extensions.  I looked into implementing support in noVNC
for it, but reverse engineering a binary protocol is a bit beyond me.

It's also annoying because it claims to be a TightVNC server (and uses
TightVNC auth/tunneling)... I was so hopeful that would just work.  It
looks like they took the TightVNC code, and just made a bunch of changes
with no regard for the specification.