Greenfield Access Network

Colton Conor colton.conor at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 18:25:28 UTC 2014

I have read both the Juniper MX and Cisco ASR9K do support this advanced
BRAS functionality, what Juniper calls Subscriber Feature Management and
what Cisco calls BGN. These software functions run on the router itself,
however the are not free or included with the base chassis. To enable these
you must pay a hefty fee. So you are saying that these advanced feature
packs that the largest networking markers in the world sell are really not
needed anymore due to advancements on the access vendor side of the house?
>From the reading I have done about these solutions, it is kind of like
PPPoE with a radius setup, but instead DHCP option 82 with a radius setup.
These routers are also capable of running a local DHCP server, but I am not
sure if that is recommended.

The DPoE DOCSIS provisioning of your GPON network is interesting, but is
that really relevant for a new provider if they don't have cable CMTS
systems already deployed. Sure, it makes sense for the cable compaines who
have already bought billing systems and are used to living in
a DOCSIS world. But if you were starting fresh from the group up are you
recommending we look at GPON providers like Calix because they support DPoE
so we can buy DOCIS billing systems? That is an interesting concept.