Netflix To Cogent To World

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jul 31 17:10:49 UTC 2014

On Jul 30, 2014, at 11:21 PM, Mark Tinka <mark.tinka at seacom.mu> wrote:

> On Thursday, July 31, 2014 01:35:32 AM Owen DeLong wrote:
>
>> In that case, I would argue that the attempts to freeze
>> Netflix out in a SlowLane extortion scheme are a move by
>> the existing content/ISP conglomerates to do just
>> exactly that, no?
>
> For Netflix, I can't say for sure whether it is a deliberate
> attempt to "grab" them or not, but yes, the current
> environment certainly has the makings of what it would take
> to achieve such an outcome, on purpose or by accident.
>
> That said, as successful as Netflix are, I believe there are
> other content owners out there that are more likely to
> challenge the traditional ISP model that Netflix ever could.
> Those are the ones I'm more concerned about.
>
> Mark.

You are still misinterpreting my statement, or at least it appears
that you are.

I am not saying that Netflix is attempting to “grab”. I’m saying that
Netflix is the target as the content distributors that are already ISPs
attempt to prevent Netflix from capturing more of their content
customers. (Netflix is also a distributor, not owner).

AT&T, Verizon, et. al. also have content businesses and it appears
to me that this battle is an attempt by them to reduce Netflix’
inroads into that business.

IOW, the incumbent ISPs seem to be doing exactly what you described
as an effort to protect their traditional content businesses.

Owen