Netflix To Cogent To World

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Thu Jul 31 06:21:39 UTC 2014

On Thursday, July 31, 2014 01:35:32 AM Owen DeLong wrote:

> In that case, I would argue that the attempts to freeze
> Netflix out in a SlowLane extortion scheme are a move by
> the existing content/ISP conglomerates to do just
> exactly that, no?

For Netflix, I can't say for sure whether it is a deliberate
attempt to "grab" them or not, but yes, the current
environment certainly has the makings of what it would take
to achieve such an outcome, on purpose or by accident.

That said, as successful as Netflix are, I believe there are
other content owners out there that are more likely to
challenge the traditional ISP model that Netflix ever could.
Those are the ones I'm more concerned about.

Mark.