BGP communities question

Dave Bell me at geordish.org
Wed Jul 30 13:33:39 UTC 2014

This sounds perfectly acceptable.

Your ISP-B should have a published list of communities that do
different things. You need to choose the specific community to get the
behaviour you are after. For example you can see a list of what Level3
accept from customers about half way down here:
http://onesc.net/communities/as3356/.

>From them you may choose 3356:70 and 3356:90. Arbitrarily choosing a
community may break things. For example, you probably would not want
to use 3356:9999.

You will also need to remember to set the local pref on your side of
the link to ensure that you don't get asymmetric traffic flows.

Be careful with BGP. You can break a lot of things if you don't know
what you are doing.

Regards,
Dave