Upgrade Path Options from 6500 SUP720-3BXL for Edge Routing

Mark Tinka mark.tinka at seacom.mu
Wed Jul 30 09:18:43 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 11:12:44 AM Vincent Bernat
wrote:

> What's the point of shipping more memory then? Maybe the
> OS can only address 4GB per process but is able to use
> up to 64GB in total (PAE)?

That was one argument from Cisco - that when the software
catches up, they might be able to compartmentalize so that
applications gain access to it individually. I didn't grill
them too much on this, as we use IOS XR in the core mostly
(CRS), and we don't need RAM too much since IPv4 is switched
on MPLS labels, negating the need to hold a full IPv4 table
on the routers.

That said, I can see a use-case where the additional RAM on
the CRS and ASR9000 can make sense if IOS XR is allowed to
run separate VM's on the same control plane. I know that iso
one of the ideas behind the NCS, but not sure whether it
will be added to the CRS and ASR9000.

Mark.