Carrier Grade NAT

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jul 30 04:52:50 UTC 2014

On Jul 29, 2014, at 10:59 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> As an ISP customer, would you really accept not
>> being supplied a globally unique address? Really?
>
> Hi Owen,
>
> I wouldn't, but outside of the folks I know in this forum, few would
> notice or care. So long as the ISP has an alternative available for
> those who do care (such as an existing static IP request mechanism)
> CGNs are low-risk from a customer-acceptance position.

Sure, but I didn’t ask the question of the general public… I asked it of the people on this list.

I suspect most of the membership of this list would opt out of CGN one way or another.

In my case, my provider is IPv6 capable and I’d simply move my tunnels from IPv4 to IPv6 rather than subject myself to CGN if necessary.

Owen