On a future of open settlement free peering

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jul 30 00:57:33 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jul 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM, Richard Bennett <richard at bennett.com> wrote:
> So when you said: "I can only hope the holdouts will "see the light" before
> the weight of government crashes down on them" you were positing an unlikely
> outcome?

I wasn't positing any specific government action. I opine only that
the current behavior is likely to result in one, that the current
peering holdouts are unlikely to find such action preferable to open
peering, and that a voluntary practice of open peering stands a better
chance of keeping the FCC at bay than any less severe change to
current practices that's obvious to me.

Unless the ship has already sailed. Voluntary open peering likely
could have kept the FCC at bay, but it's not always obvious to me when
something is too late.

> BTW, I'm not a lobbyist,

As it turns out, neither am I! ;)

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?