Richard Bennett, NANOG posting, and Integrity

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jul 28 19:39:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 2:35 PM, Richard Bennett <richard at bennett.com> wrote:
> It's hard to see a revolution when you're in the middle of it. [...], the
> Internet will shift from a tool for
> reading web sites and watching occasional cat videos to a system whose main
> job (from the perspective of traffic) is video streaming. The magnitude of
> the change will necessarily cause a re-evaluation of the norms for
> interconnection, aggregation, content placement, and protocol design.

Richard,

Before Netflix it was Bittorrent. Before Bittorrent it was Usenet.
Before the Internet, history records no shortage of companies willing
to falsely advertise a product that did less than was claimed. Nor is
fraudulent double-billing a recent invention.

There is nothing new under the sun, no matter how much you may protest
otherwise, and every one of these eyeball networks sold products
which, on paper, were consistent with the use of Netflix. Without
requiring additional payment beyond the customers' subscriber fee.

And continued selling the product as described, long beyond any
reasonable doubt their customers expected it to work with Netflix.
Right through this very minute and beyond.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

William Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
Can I solve your unusual networking challenges?