Richard Bennett, NANOG posting, and Integrity

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Mon Jul 28 17:36:22 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM, Dorian Kim <dorian at blackrose.org> wrote:

> This most likely won’t happen unless it becomes some sort of an
> international treaty obligation and even then it would end up in courts for
> a long time. Leaving aside data privacy requirements many carriers have,
> most companies guard their traffic information rather zealously for some
> reason.
>
> -dorian

"We'll allow you to keep these connections
in place as a legacy favour, but as far as the
rest of the world is concerned, they don't
exist; we don't pass routes from it along
to others, and neither will you.  They get
used for internal traffic only."

Those types of situations are why traffic
flow data tends to be kept very, very secret.
Every network has its dark corners, its dirty
little secrets that shouldn't see the light of
day.  It's easy to make sure those aren't
drawn on the maps released to the public.
It's a lot harder to make sure the presence
of those edges doesn't become visible if
you export actual flow data.

Matt