Richard Bennett, NANOG posting, and Integrity

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Mon Jul 28 05:53:51 UTC 2014

In fact Netflix is asking to connect to eyeball networks for free:

http://blog.netflix.com/2014/03/internet-tolls-and-case-for-strong-net.html

" Strong net neutrality additionally prevents ISPs from charging a toll
for interconnection to services like Netflix, YouTube, or Skype, or
intermediaries such as Cogent, Akamai or Level 3, to deliver the
services and data requested by ISP residential subscribers. Instead,
they must provide sufficient access to their network without charge."

This isn't the traditional understanding of net neutrality, but this is
the beauty of murky notions: they can be redefined as the fashions
change: "You've designed your network to handle the traffic demands of
web browsing? That's cute, now rebuild it to handle 40 times more
traffic while I sit back and call you a crook for not anticipating my
innovation."

Very wow.

RB

--
Richard Bennett
Visiting Fellow, American Enterprise Institute