Richard Bennett, NANOG posting, and Integrity

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Mon Jul 28 04:08:17 UTC 2014

I don't think it's conflation, Joly, since the essence of NN is for the
eyeballs to pay for the entire cost of the network and for edge
providers to use it for free; isn't that what Netflix is asking the FCC
to impose under the guise of "strong net neutrality?" Professor van
Schewick is pretty clear about making the users pay for the edge
providers in her tome on Internet architecture and innovation.

Competition is a wonderful thing where it can work, but it's not a
panacea, especially for the poor and for high-cost, rural areas.
Communication policy has pretty much always relied on some form of
subsidy for these situations, that's the universal service fee we pay on
our phone bills.

Susan Crawford explicitly complains that American ISPs "gouge the rich"
by charging more than the OECD norm for high-speed (50 Mbps and above)
service, but she fails to point out that they also charge less than the
norm for low-speed (15 Mbps and below) service.

I think it's easy to create unintended consequences if you don't look at
how specific regulations affect real people, no matter how high-minded
and principled they may appear at the surface.

RB

--
Richard Bennett
Visiting Fellow, American Enterprise Institute