[OPINION] Best place in the US for NetAdmins

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sun Jul 27 22:02:13 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 12:04 PM, Jack Bates <jbates at paradoxnetworks.net>
wrote:

> On 7/27/2014 12:41 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:
>
>> You wouldn't like it here in the Bay Area. It's horrible, there's
>> pollution all the time, the traffic is terrible, there's no reasonable
>> public transportation, there's no late-night eateries for when you finish
>> that maintenance window at 2am. You definitely don't want to live here. :D
>>

> Well, definitely not. I'll stick to my ranch in rural Oklahoma. Since I
> was young, I've always wanted to have a high speed connection to a house in
> the middle of nowhere. Originally, I liked the mountain ranges my great
> grandmother used to live on. These days, I'm happy with my crop fields and
> trees, even if it is a bit flat. Turns out, it's easier to bury fiber when
> you don't have to go through a mountain. :)
>
> I know I'm not alone in my duality; the need to balance my geek and my
> need for nature. It generally does hurt the ability to drive into an office
> daily, though. Then again, it's over a mile as the crow flies to my nearest
> neighbor. Still working on a good wireless repeater system to get me from
> the house to a good resting place in the forest. Trees and wifi not
> friendly. lol
>
> Jack

I wrestled with that duality myself, and
finally solved it by buying 10 acres of
land about 12 miles from company HQ,
so I can be in the office as needed, but
still relax under the gentle sound of
the wind through the pine trees, watching
the birds wheeling back and forth on
the wind down in the canyon below.

Downside is I haven't solved the high
speed internet access question yet;
that's still on the to-do list for the
property.  :/  Turns out high-speed
internet is hard to come by in the
Silicon Valley area...but that's a topic
for another thread.

Matt