[OPINION] Best place in the US for NetAdmins

Kenneth M. Chipps Ph.D. chipps at chipps.com
Sun Jul 27 19:20:32 UTC 2014

Use this:

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20140512-drone-offers-wi-fi-signal.ece

-----Original Message-----
From: NANOG [mailto:nanog-bounces at nanog.org] On Behalf Of Jack Bates
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2014 2:05 PM
To: Matthew Petach; Owen DeLong
Cc: NANOG (nanog at nanog.org)
Subject: Re: [OPINION] Best place in the US for NetAdmins

On 7/27/2014 12:41 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:
> You wouldn't like it here in the Bay Area. It's horrible, there's
> pollution all the time, the traffic is terrible, there's no reasonable
> public transportation, there's no late-night eateries for when you
> finish that maintenance window at 2am. You definitely don't want to
> live here. :D

Well, definitely not. I'll stick to my ranch in rural Oklahoma. Since I was young, I've always wanted to have a high speed connection to a house in the middle of nowhere. Originally, I liked the mountain ranges my great grandmother used to live on. These days, I'm happy with my crop fields and trees, even if it is a bit flat. Turns out, it's easier to bury fiber when you don't have to go through a mountain. :)

I know I'm not alone in my duality; the need to balance my geek and my need for nature. It generally does hurt the ability to drive into an office daily, though. Then again, it's over a mile as the crow flies to my nearest neighbor. Still working on a good wireless repeater system to get me from the house to a good resting place in the forest. Trees and wifi not friendly. lol

Jack