[OPINION] Best place in the US for NetAdmins

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sun Jul 27 16:28:55 UTC 2014

> On Jul 26, 2014, at 6:01 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>> Bill, on your list of not so wonderful things in DC, you left off:
>>        Weather
>>                In the sumer, the DC area is, well, what you’d expect from a hot, humid, fetid swamp.
>>                In the winter, you can make ice cream outside without rock salt (though there’s plenty of
>>                        salt available on the roads).
>
> Meh. The weather is always temperate indoors. You ARE a computer guy, right?

Yes and no. I like being able to go outside and enjoy things outside of my job environment.

To me, weather matters.

I guess if I had grown up or been stuck in the DC area for a long time, I might not be so focused on the outdoors.

>> Contrary to Bill’s claims, we have nearly as many data centers
>> housing lots of interconnect, content providers, etc. out here,
>> too. We’re also a primary gateway to Asia and the Pacific as
>> well as Australia.
>
> I wouldn't dream of suggesting that silicon valley lacks for anything
> of interest to computer and networking folks. You even have heavy
> taxation, heavy regulation and a state government ever on the brink of
> financial collapse, all things less prevalent in Northern Virginia.
> Though if you really enjoy those things you can always visit DC or the
> People's Republic of Maryland.

Meh... I don't think my taxation is that high overall. Yes, I pay a slightly higher sales tax than VA, but IIRC, our income tax rate is lower. My property taxes are definitely lower and more predictable.

Owen