[OPINION] Best place in the US for NetAdmins

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jul 26 17:13:03 UTC 2014

Personally, I think the SF bay area has you beat.

Bill, on your list of not so wonderful things in DC, you left off:

	Weather
		In the sumer, the DC area is, well, what you’d expect from a hot, humid, fetid swamp.
		In the winter, you can make ice cream outside without rock salt (though there’s plenty of
			salt available on the roads).
		The spring and fall aren’t bad (for about 2 weeks each). Otherwise, the weather is not
		at all wonderful in that area.

SF has a very wide variety of cultural exhibitions, activities, and institutions. We also have nearly as wide a variety of ethnic cuisine as you can find in New York (wider than DC/NoVA from what I’ve seen, actually). We also have a major concentration of technology and internet-oriented startups, including such iconic names as Google, Facebook, Adobe, Dropbox, Netflix, Apple, Fry’s Electronics, and more. We’re the only region to have three TechShops in addition to a number of other makerspaces and hackerspaces, including the original Noise Bridge SF (to the best of my knowledge, the first public maker/hacker space in the US, having opened its doors in 2008 (or possibly earlier), patterned after such spaces in Europe.

The bay area has great cultural diversity, lots of fun things to do, and is within a relatively short drive of mountains, desert, ocean (beaches and cliffs available), awesome SCUBA diving, great downhill and XC skiing, hang gliding, sailing, and more. There’s a strong and active General Aviation community and lots of places to rent airplanes and helicopters.

Contrary to Bill’s claims, we have nearly as many data centers housing lots of interconnect, content providers, etc. out here, too. We’re also a primary gateway to Asia and the Pacific as well as Australia.

Our weather is pretty much temperate year round.

Owen