[OPINION] Best place in the US for NetAdmins

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat Jul 26 15:54:17 UTC 2014

Joly MacFie wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 7:04 AM, Rich Kulawiec <rsk at gsp.org> wrote:
>
>> Telecommuting should not be a rare exception: it should be the default.
>> And "corporate headquarters" should be as small and inexpensive as
>> possible,
>> staffed (in person) only by a handful of people -- if even that.
>>
> Automattic (WordPress) works like that.
>
> There's a book about it.
> http://www.amazon.com/The-Year-Without-Pants-WordPress-com/dp/1118660633

Funny thing.  A place I'm working now (not as a sysadmin, though) builds
intelligent transportation systems for buses (dispatch systems,
passenger information, and the like) - half of us are spread all over
the place.  A lot of us live pretty far from the home office, and spend
most of our time working from home; then there are all the folks on the
road doing sales; and the deployment teams working on-site at customer
locations.  About the only folks who are actually in the office a lot
are the design engineers and the folks who build hardware.

Works pretty well - though proposals get kind of interesting (which is
what I mostly do these days).  The problem isn't so much remoteness
(email, audio bridges, and webex work well enough) - it's finding blocks
of time for meetings - everyone is juggling too many things - kind of
organizational ADHD.  Personally, I think there's a lot to be said for
actually having everybody in the same physical place - makes those
impromptu hallway conversations a lot easier.

Cheers,

Miles