Starting a greenfield(ish) small (10k subs?) multihomed (two ASN) , dual stacked, wireless ISP - i can haz advice?

charles at thefnf.org charles at thefnf.org
Fri Jul 25 12:29:25 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-24 11:39, Josh Baird wrote:
> FCC licensing?  No licenses as long as you operate in unlicensed
> bands (ie, 900mhz/2.4ghz/5).

Yes. This is correct. Also no licensing needed for 24ghz. We are rolling
out a dual uplink 24ghz AirFiber back bone in the next couple of weeks.

The FNF has obtained a 3.65ghz license and that's come in very handy in
some of the very noisy parts of our footprint.

>  On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 5:10 AM, hayden <paul.basov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Sorry, no feedback from me.. I have couple of questions though, how
>> much licensing do you need to go through, to actually start a WISP?

Well. I'd recommend being incorporated. Which isn't licensing per se.
I'd also recommend being bonded/insured. Just good general business
practices.

>> Also, Kansas.. Are you concerned that you’ll have to compete with
>> Google Fiber at some point?

Not really. We are serving areas that Google Fiber has decided to not
service.