TCP Window Scaling issue

Zach Hill zach.reborn at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 18:33:56 UTC 2014

*First round of packet captures*

Here are the snippets from a packet capture.

First is the SYN from Server A to Server B http://i.imgur.com/E5cu4ev.png Here
is the SYN from Server B backhttp://i.imgur.com/RRSAl8G.png

Second test from Server C to Server B: First is the SYN from Server C to
Server B http://i.imgur.com/Jc2K6bT.pngand the SYN from Server B to Server
C http://i.imgur.com/pbvx9jJ.png

I guess I'm at a loss as to why in scenario 1 neither are sending window
scaling at all. Is it because Server A isn't attempting or initializing?

I'm in the process of setting up a VM that I can SPAN for a capture from
the source of Server A. This will allow me to compare packets at each side.

*Second round of packet captures*

Now I just don't even know what is going on...

Is this quantum physics now? Did the state just change by me looking at it?
Here are some new screencaps. The only change that's been made was a SPAN
port enabled on the Nexus7k sourced at Server A and destination for my new
tcpdump capture server.

Site 1 captures: 1 http://i.imgur.com/K5r7FaG.png 2
http://i.imgur.com/wfnfLyi.png

Site 2 capture: 1 http://i.imgur.com/vpY2lnh.png 2
http://i.imgur.com/UyL3V6L.png

Now they are both communicating a window size. Speed is still slow at
400-450KBps